System.Posix.IO.ByteString fdRead and fdWrite.

wren at freegeek.org wren at freegeek.org
Mon Nov 25 08:50:07 UTC 2013

On 11/20/13 6:03 PM, Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> In unix-2.7.0.0, fdRead and fdWrite in System.Posix.IO.ByteString use
> String instead of ByteString. This is wrong, isn't it? The point of
> the
> .ByteString modules is to do IO in ByteString.

The functions you're looking for are in unix-bytestring[1]. They also
have precedent on the System.Posix.IO.ByteString module name, but there
was a bit of a mixup back when the ByteString-based filename stuff was
introduced in unix.

The unix-bytestring package was always intended to be rolled into unix.
When I proposed incorporating it back in the day, the original version
mirrored the System.Posix.IO API and the proposal was voted down because
noone liked the System.Posix.IO API! I've since redone the API to better
match the POSIX standards, and have gotten positive feedback on it. So
perhaps it's time to revive the proposal for inclusion.

[1] <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/unix-bytestring>

--
Live well,
~wren