2013.4.0.0 proposal

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Nov 13 18:20:54 UTC 2013

[taking this off the platform mailing list]

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.11.2013, 19:10 +0100 schrieb Bas van Dijk:
> I would call using [a] -> [a] and (.): "rolling your own" and I
> consider it bad practise. Code would be easier to understand if it
> used common names.

I’m not sure; there is a concept behind it that applied to other data
types as well, e.g. trees, possibly defined by the user. Having people
knowledgeable about [a] -> [a] will enable them to apply the same
pattern to their own data types.

If [a] -> [a] were bad practice, then base should stop using it¹, and
Data.DList should become part of base. (This is not a strawman argument:
If people support this then sure, why not).

One main advantage of dlist if of course that it comes with instances
(Monad, Functor, etc.)

Greetings,
Joachim

¹ http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.6.0.1/docs/Prelude.html#t:ShowS