2013.4.0.0 proposal

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Nov 13 17:53:33 UTC 2013

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 12.11.2013, 09:26 +0100 schrieb Bas van Dijk:
> On 10 November 2013 22:40, Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Including aeson, which I think we'd all very much like to do, requires
> > dlist-0.5.
> > Now, dlist has been around for a very long time, and is very stable.
> > I do not believe that dlist's API is exposed indirectly via aeson at all.
> >
> > I hereby propose that it be added to the platform.
> > At the very least, it could be like primitive - in the platform, but not
> > "part" of it.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> +1
>
> However, note that I don't mind dropping the dlist dependency from
> aeson. I use it in a very limited internal place:
>
> https://github.com/bos/aeson/blob/master/Data/Aeson/Types/Generic.hs#L213

while dlist is certainly a nice and stable library, it is still
relatively specialized, and I would personally not consider it important
enough to be included in the platform. I’d like the platform to stay a
selection of packages that people not only can use, but really should
know about, and use them instead of rolling their own. I’m not sure if
this holds for dlist – using [a] -> [a] and (.) directly is also good
practice.

My suggestion is to remove it from aeson, and keep the platform small
and focused.

Greetings,
Joachim

--