2013.4.0.0 proposal

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 17:15:11 UTC 2013

2013/11/10 Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner at gmail.com>:
> [...] Packages with major version bumps:
> I'd like to get confirmation from the maintainers of these packages that
> this bump is "the right thing to do". The bump should ideally only add API,
> and not orphan any program that used to compile under the HP - at least not
> without a good reason.
> [...]
>         GLUT: 2.4.0.0 → 2.5.0.1
>         GLURaw: 1.3.0.0 → 1.4.0.0
>         OpenGL: 2.8.0.0 → 2.9.1.0
>         OpenGLRaw: 1.3.0.0 → 1.4.0.0
> [...]

All those bumps are OK. There are a few API incompatibilities, but
these were actually driven by user demand, see the HOpenGL mailing
list archive/GitHub issue trackers. Fixing any program/library which
doesn't compile with the new versions is only a tiny mechanical task.
I'm quite aware of the fact that breaking APIs is not nice, but OpenGL
itself has changed so much over the last few years that the old API
was simply wrong in some places.