suggestion: A common type class for mutable variables

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu May 30 22:59:21 CEST 2013

There are no MPTCs or type families in base outside of the GHC.* at this time and there are several libraries that provide this functionality as a layer on top.

I don't really see the need to bless one over the rest by folding it into base, as there are several points in the design space available and each is better for different audiences. MPTCs+FD for portability, MPTCs+TFs for GHC-specifics, even MPTCs without either or with the FD running the other direction, to permit the combinatory to work on more ref types in exchange for worse inference.

In fact there is a strong case against including it in base:

If the FD or TF went from the monad to the ref type, then you'd want it to auto lift over transformers without orphan instances, but this would require transformers to break Haskell 98/2010, which isn't palatable given transformers' stated goals!

The requisite layering is better served (and only possible) by this being a non-base package, which is precisely the status quo.

-1

-Edward