ANN: prelude-safeenum

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu May 30 09:54:38 CEST 2013

On Wed, 29 May 2013, wren ng thornton wrote:

> -- prelude-safeenum 0.1.0
>
> The prelude-safeenum package offers a safe alternative to the Prelude's
> Enum class in order to render it safe. While we're at it, we also
> generalize the notion of enumeration to support types which can only be
> enumerated in one direction.

I am concerned that we are using 'safe' for two very different meanings:
'safe' in the sense of SafeHaskell and unsafePerformanceIO and 'safe' in
the sense of the package 'safe' and your safeenum. For my taste, there is
no need to coin new terms for partiality and totality. Could we just call
total functions total instead of safe?