summary of 2013-05 proposals

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed May 29 04:15:59 CEST 2013

On 5/27/13 1:00 PM, Ben wrote:
> ----------
> 2013-05-21 wren ng thorton proposes "burning bridges" -
2013-May/019902.html
> ----------
>
> * wren ng thorton : promote Foldable/Traversable, Applicative => Monad,
etc.

> ** not fixing numeric hierarchy, partial functions in spec, MPTC vs type
>     families, etc.

Er, actually I'm all _for_ fixing partial functions. Some things like
head/tail will be contentious to get rid of ---and aren't my main concern
ATM---, but the partiality in the Enum class (for example) is flagrantly
unnecessary.

It's just the other two (numeric hierarchy, MPTCs/fundeps/TFs) I think
would best be handled elsewhere/later.

> * john lato : someone should write up a single new proposal

I wrote a preliminary version of this at:

    http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2013-May/020046.html

cf also:

    http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2013-May/020049.html

A handful of the proposed changes are covered by the Applicative => Monad
proposal, though that proposal is more aimed towards retaining
compatibility rather than ironing out all the wrinkles.

Before writing up a more detailed version of 020046, I'd like to get
feedback on whether there are particular warts I missed or particular
suggested changes that people are stringently opposed to (once concerns
about compatibility have been put aside).

--
Live well,
~wren