2014 Applicative => Monad proposal

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Fri May 24 23:59:23 CEST 2013

On 5/24/13 11:20 AM, Edward Kmett wrote:
> For the record I'm actually -1 on including Pointed.
>
> My experience is that there are very few uses for the class that permit you
> to reason about your code without one-off ad hoc reasoning based on the
> particular instance you are given. Now, the Apply and Bind classes on the
> other hand... =) Though, to be fair, I couldn't seriously propose including
> either of those, either. Even I can't be bothered to instantiate them all
> the time!

FWIW, as things stand, I'm also -1 for Pointed. Pointed doesn't really
have much meaning on its own, so I think it's more helpful to invert the
hierarchy as Kmett has done and have Apply/Bind classes as the
generalization of Applicative/Monad.

More to the point, the Pointed proposal doesn't meet the AMP goals of
gentility and compatibility. And the controversy renders it dubious for
inclusion in the proposal to make a unified compatibility-breaking change
to clean up the long-standing complaints.

--
Live well,
~wren