class aliases (was: Making decisions)

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri May 24 09:33:49 CEST 2013

Petr

It's a complex design space. I can't even readily answer your question "are class aliases strictly stronger".  Neither feature is fully specified yet.  Each has variations. I'm also worried about implementing a complex feature that ultimately turns out not to solve the library-evolution problem.

So although I can see the benefits (to library evolution in particular) I have consciously punted on this, hoping that someone will evolve a design that everyone says "aha, that's it".

So by all means have at it; I'm sure we'd learn from the process.  I just don't want to promise up-front to adopt the result.

Simon