2014 Applicative => Monad proposal

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Thu May 23 23:46:15 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 03:50:40PM -0500, Jeremy Shaw wrote:
>Great! I'd loved to see Pointed in there too -- but I have no dreams
>of winning that one. :p

I'm of the opinion that Pointed is excessive granularity. See also:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Why_not_Pointed?

In general, with regards to the difficulty keeping track of facts and
discussions, I think it could be a good idea to use the wiki more. I
mean, discussion is best on the mailing list, but I feel like the
original proposals and facts of the matter could stand to go there, so
that they're easily-retrieved later on.

Anyway. +1 AMP from me.

I'm a little uneasy about default signatures. In particular, if I write
code assuming that they exist, can it be compiled by compilers which
don't support it, and just result in a missing method?