Making decisions

malcolm.wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Thu May 23 14:26:52 CEST 2013

Fine in theory, but in practice when changes to the Prelude have been made previously, they have indeed affected the haskell98 and haskell2010 packages that have subsequently shipped with ghc.

See for instance:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.6.2/html/users_guide/bugs-and-infelicities.html#haskell-standards-divergence

Num superclasses
The Num class does not have Show or Eq superclasses. You can make code that works with both Haskell98/Haskell2010 and GHC by: [workaround described]
Bits superclasses
The Bits class does not have a Num superclasses. It therefore does not have default methods for the bit, testBit and popCount methods.
You can make code that works with both Haskell2010 and GHC by: [workaround described]
Regards,
    Malcolm