Burning bridges

Casey McCann cam at uptoisomorphism.net
Thu May 23 03:06:08 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 May 2013 07:32, Malcolm Wallace <malcolm.wallace at me.com> wrote:
>> -20 for generalising the Prelude
>> +1 for removals from the Prelude
>> -1 for adding monomorphic stuff
>> +1000 for doing nothing
>>
>> You are all nuts. :-)
>
> I don't know if I'd go quite _that_ for as Malcolm for the weightings
> for the different proposals...
>
> But I was speaking with a few other tutors of an introductory
> CS/programming course that uses Haskell (note: it's teaching
> programming with Haskell, not teaching Haskell per se: for example,
> all pattern matchings must be done with case statements as the
> lecturer considers top-level pattern matching a Haskell-specific
> quirk) about these proposals...

So in other words, your contention is that the design of the core
library of Haskell should be driven by the needs of an introductory
programming course, which is not even attempting to teach Haskell
specifically, aimed at students who can't even figure out how tab
characters work? That's marvelous.

- C.