Burning bridges

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed May 22 05:49:29 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:18 AM, John Wiegley <johnw at fpcomplete.com> wrote:

> > Beyond that, the argument that having redundant, less-polymorphic
> versions
> > of standard combinators is helping beginners has not become any less
> > ridiculous since the first time I heard it.
>
> As I sit here in agreement with Edward, and comments like Casey's above, I
> begin to wonder: does the assumed minority who opposes such changes even
> exist
> anymore?  Is there a chance we've fallen into the trap of assuming that
> they
> exist, and so shying away from formally proposing changes like this one?

The proposal should continue to come up until there are no objections.

In all seriousness, there's a hydra of threads about a bunch of
quasi-related issues, and much debate has happened since the last time I
saw a vote tally.  There's a lot of confusion, and doubtless some people
have chosen to stay out completely.

I suggest that we start a poll for a single, concrete proposal.  If the
poll forum is by email or similar, I further suggest that replies be
limited strictly to +1/-1.  Debate can continue in one of the other threads
if necessary, but this will make it very easy to see exactly where the
community stands.

John L.