Adding Applicative/Functor instances to all Monads in GHC

David Luposchainsky dluposchainsky at googlemail.com
Thu May 16 16:19:29 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-16 16:09, Bas van Dijk wrote:
> Note that I already did this once as part of:
> However, that never got merged.

That's certainly going to be useful, although the patches may be hard to
use due to their age now.

I don't want to make this discussion about how useful/probable the new
hierarchy proposal change would be, but now that there's a new Haskell
Prime team, I thought it would be a good time to get unecessary
obstacles out of the way before we even try. If adding Applicatives to
GHC works out, we'll have to test how much of Hackage requires similar
fixes, and when that is satisfyingly patched up, we can begin to think
about retrying your proposal.

David