The numeric c types are (effectively) integral, too.

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at
Thu Mar 28 21:53:23 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Henning Thielemann <
lemming at> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Mar 2013, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Jason Dusek <jason.dusek at>
>> wrote:
>>       One way to think of it is, CTime is time and should follow the
>>       rules of the time. Another way is, CTime is a C type and should
>>       follow the rules of C types.  The latter perspective seems more
>>       appropriate for Foreign.C.* (we are likely to seek out some
>>       other module for modelling time).
>> Phrasing this perhaps more clearly: the point of the FFI types is to
>> reflect foreign types.
> If CTime is only for interfacing with C, then there should not be any
> arithmetic or bit manipulation class instances of it, only some conversion
> functions between CTime and Haskell time representations.

...and implementing those should be as painful as possible?

allbery.b at                                  ballbery at
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad