Proposal: Add the unordered-containers package and the hashable package to the Haskell Platform

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 19 17:19:19 CET 2013

Oh, I just realised that this proposal is to include the older version
of hashable.  In principle, I'm not against that, but I do wonder what
the upgrade path is.  I don't think the performance problems can be
fixed in general -- that's just the price of security.  So it becomes
critical what the upgrade path looks like.  Do users get a slowdown of
2x by default and then have to manually make it faster again if
something is not security sensitive?  Do users have to explicitly opt
in for security (a bad default, IMO)?  Do we have any idea how that
switch may affect the API?