Advance notice that I'd like to make Cabal depend on parsec

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Mar 19 00:22:30 CET 2013

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 17.03.2013, 21:04 +0100 schrieb Henning Thielemann:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > I think it would be feasible to stop GHC itself from using the human
> > readable format. The only place I can think of it being used is in the
> > package database, but we could use either Read/Show for that, or just
> > exclusively use the binary format.
>
> I already needed the human readable format in order to check what
> information a custom configure file generated.

the debian packaging scripts modify the package data:

  $(if $(HASKELL_HIDE_PACKAGES),sed -i 's/^exposed: True$$/exposed: False/' $$pkg_config;) \

and also parses data from not-yet registered package files, and I think
it also changes paths somewhere. For all that plumbing stuff, human
readable file formats are very convenient.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner