Advance notice that I'd like to make Cabal depend on parsec

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Thu Mar 14 20:29:50 CET 2013

* Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at googlemail.com> [2013-03-14 17:12:14+0000]
> The InstalledPackageInfo and its parser is what ghc and ghc-pkg
> primarily use (though there's the opportunity to share code for handling
> package indexes) and that type and that parser are also going to end up
> using text and parsec etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just a strange coincidence that
InstalledPackageInfo is serialised in the format similar to .cabal
format?

InstalledPackageInfos aren't supposed to be edited by hand and do not
need good error reporting. They can be serialized using any
serialization library.

(Then again, "any serialization library" like aeson would probably bring
more dependencies than you're considering...)

Roman