Make Prelude's map = fmap

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 20:25:55 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Nikita Volkov <nikita.y.volkov at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2013, at 10:11 PM, Henning Thielemann <
> lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
> > If in future Prelude moves more and more to one most general function
> that does everything given the right type, then I am really concerning to
> use NoImplicitPrelude in all my modules and use a custom Prelude or none at
> all.
>
> That's exactly what I am doing now and the very existence of a dozen of
> "prelude" projects on hackage suggests that I'm hardly alone in that.

Except that most of them are making things *more* general, whereas Henning
believes polymorphism is evil and confusing.

Is there anything else we need to remove from Haskell to make it
"appropriate"? Within the past 24 hours I have heard impassioned arguments
for jettisoning polymorphism, monads, and arrows. Maybe strong typing
should be removed next? Currying?