Proposal to solve the `EitherT` problem.

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Jun 17 21:36:25 CEST 2013

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013, Ross Paterson wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:27:18AM -0700, Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:
>>     On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 02:52:46PM -0700, Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:
>>    > There are three approaches that I'd like to submit for consideration
>>    > and receive feedback on:
>>    >
>>    > * Approach 1: Remove the `Error` constraint from `transformers`
>>    >
>>    > Disadvantage: This silently breaks all existing uses of `fail`.  I
>>    > don't know any way to add a compiler warning to notify downstream
>>    > libraries of this change.
>>
>> I'm going to add another disadvantage of this approach: `ErrorT`
>> is not as good of a name.  `EitherT` is a more neutral name, which
>> matters if you want to use it for non-error-based flow control like
>> the way I describe here:
>>
>> http://www.haskellforall.com/2012/07/breaking-from-loop.html
>
> Fair point, but then EitherT is too neutral, giving no hint of the purpose
> of the monad instance, and suggesting a symmetry that is absent from the
> monad: Right is normal monadic sequencing, while Left is the exceptional
> control path.  Things get particularly 'sinister' when you get to naming
> the throw and catch combinators.  It's a bit like the reason for having
> Writer instead of using the monad instance for (,).  So I'd lean more to
> something like Except, which would also be in line with Moggi's original
> presentation of this monat and transformer.

  I also think that the monad instances on Either and (,) are abuses. (And
the monad instance on (->), too, since once I got a hard to find error
where a missing argument in a function call was interpreted as an instance
of the Reader monad.)
  Thus I think EitherT is not a good name, and I would also prefer
something containing "except".