Proposal to solve the `EitherT` problem.

Gabriel Gonzalez gabriel439 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 20:27:18 CEST 2013

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 02:52:46PM -0700, Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:
> > There are three approaches that I'd like to submit for consideration
> > and receive feedback on:
> >
> > * Approach 1: Remove the `Error` constraint from `transformers`
> >
> > Disadvantage: This silently breaks all existing uses of `fail`.  I
> > don't know any way to add a compiler warning to notify downstream
> > libraries of this change.
> I'm in favour of this one.  We can catch some of these uses by deprecating
> the Error class, as the only predefined instances are for IOException
> and String.

I'm going to add another disadvantage of this approach: `ErrorT` is not as
good of a name.  `EitherT` is a more neutral name, which matters if you
want to use it for non-error-based flow control like the way I describe
here:

http://www.haskellforall.com/2012/07/breaking-from-loop.html

> > * Approach 2: Add `EitherT` to `transformers` alongside `ErrorT` and
> > have them both implement `MonadError`.
> >
> > Disadvantage: Bloat from having two almost identical monad
> > transformers.  However, there is precedent from duplicating
> > `StateT`, `WriterT` and `RWST` for both strict and lazy instances.
> Those is at least a rationale for two StateT transformers with strict
> and lazy instances.  (Since the strict WriterT doesn't achieve its aim,
> I'm in favour of deprecating it, and the strict RWST.)

The nice thing about Approach 2 is that it is backwards compatible for now
and gives downstream libraries a chance to gracefully transition to
`EitherT` if you decide to deprecate `ErrorT`.  This works out better than
usual because the names are different so they can peacefully coexist for
one release.

However, you might still want to keep `ErrorT` around as long as `fail` is
still part of the `Monad` class.