suggestion: A common type class for mutable variables

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at cs.kuleuven.be
Sun Jun 9 20:17:11 CEST 2013

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that one can avoid the functional
dependencies (not the MPTCs) with a common API based on an explicit
state dictionary: see code below. I would also personally find such an
API more elegant, but I'm not sure others would agree with this.
There is also an advantage that StateD is also usable with the state
monad and monad transformer (see function stateD below).  I'm not sure
whether this idea has been tried out in practice yet.

Regards,
Dominique

module Ref where

import Data.IORef
import Data.STRef
import Control.Monad.ST
import Control.Applicative
import Control.Monad.State

data StateD s m = StateD { putM :: s -> m (), getM :: m s }

class MutRef m where
  newRef :: s -> m (StateD s m)

ioRefStateD :: IORef a -> StateD a IO
ioRefStateD r = StateD (writeIORef r) (readIORef r)

instance MutRef IO where
  newRef v = ioRefStateD <$> newIORef v

stRefStateD :: STRef s a -> StateD a (ST s)
stRefStateD r = StateD (writeSTRef r) (readSTRef r)

instance MutRef (ST s) where
  newRef v = stRefStateD <$> newSTRef v

stateD :: MonadState s m => StateD s m
stateD = StateD put get