exceptions API (Was: deprecating Error class, which Was: Proposal: add handleError to mtl))

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 15:22:21 CEST 2013

On a somewhat related note, I've started but not yet released an
'exceptions' package based on some work from Mark Lentczner, after he
encouraged me to explore the design space with an eye towards inclusion in
the platform because some packages like CGI need something like
MonadCatchIO-transformers, but GHC HEAD removed block and unblock, so the
MonadCatchIO-transformers API is broken.

It doesn't fall into the scope of the mtl as it relies on the extensible
exceptions mechanism and so needs ExistentialQuantification, but it
provides a generalization of the Control.Exception API that lifts it over
monad transformers along with a pure untagged exception-handling monad.

https://github.com/ekmett/exceptions

I was going to sound folks out about what improvements they wanted to see
in the API over this weekend at Hac Phi, but I suppose I can throw that out
to the larger libraries list as well, given the current discussion.

The haddocks for the development version are available here:

file://localhost/Users/ekmett/haskell/exceptions/docs/Control-Monad-Catch.html

-Edward