Proposal: Non-allocating way to iterate over a Data.Map: traverseWithKey_

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 18:01:48 CEST 2013

Ok, let us know what you find out.  I totally agree that Data.Map has
gotten pretty cluttered.

But, also, part of my concern is that even if the optimizer does know how
to optimize that fold, how does the programmer who needs this kind of
routine *know* that it will work?  (Especially since we didn't.)  I think
it's a bad habit to for users to stop paying attention to the cost model
entirely and instead believe that compiler magic will eliminate everything!
 Yet exactly that kind of thinking seems to be encouraged by data structure
libraries that create unnecessary copies frivolously (esp. with fusion
frameworks that sometimes/maybe fix the problem).