Data.Foldable causes missed foldr/build opportunities

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 20:22:15 CEST 2013

In your case here mapM_ f would turn into Foldable.foldr ((>>) . f) (return
()) if it were to inline (which it isn't set up to do) rather than into
Control.Monad.mapM_. Once it became Foldable.foldr it'd get stuck on the
way to becoming GHC.List.foldr and then to fusion by the fact that we don't
inline the members of the Foldable [] instance.

As an aside, it is interesting that in
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/src/Data-Traversable.html#Traversable
the
traverse is INLINE'd but not the mapM, though it is irrelevant to your
issue here, it is another thing that would likely be impacted.

So there appears to be at least two obstacles in the way of this fusing
away properly, and yet another in the way of normal mapM fusing.

Some of this could be mitigated by rephrasing the foldr/build rule directly
in terms of Foldable.foldr where it'd only typecheck if applied to a []
anyways, but it does look like a serious look will have to be made at what
gets inlined as we proceed to investigate how to get this to work right.

-Edward