new-typeable, new cast?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 22 11:19:45 CEST 2013

There seems to be a small tangle. The proposal includes deprecating
gcast1 and gcast2 in favor of the poly-kinded gcast. But, there is a
small discrepancy between these. Here are the type signatures:

> gcast :: forall a b c. (Typeable a, Typeable b) => c a -> Maybe (c b)
> gcast1 :: forall c t t' a. (Typeable (t :: * -> *), Typeable t')
>        => c (t a) -> Maybe (c (t' a))

The difference is that gcast1 does *not* require the variable `a` to be
Typeable, whereas defining gcast1 = gcast does require this. Not
requiring `a` to be Typeable seems correct to me, as the type signature
of gcast1 requires both uses of `a` to be the same. But, gcast isn't
smart enough to know that. Here are some ideas of how to proceed:

- Keep gcast1 and gcast2 undeprecated.
- Require clients to add more Typeable constraints (for example, in
Data.Data) to get their code to compile with gcast.
- Come up with some other workaround, but none is striking me at the
moment.

Thoughts?

Richard