Void type in base

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Wed Jul 17 08:27:06 CEST 2013

+1 for adding an empty type.
-1 for current proposal.  Reason:

"void" is another name for the unit type, not for the empty type.  We
know "void" from C, and there it is analogous to Haskell's "()".

Also, in Control.Monad there is

   void :: Functor f => f a -> f ()

which casts a computation to return something in the unit type, not in
the empty type.

"Returning nothing" means giving no information, that is, a member of
the *unit* type (in contrast, having a member of the empty type is not
having nothing, quite the opposite, it is absolute power; one get
everything from it using ex-falso-quod-libet).

The type could be called "Empty" instead.

"absurd" seems fine.

Why having "vacuous"?  Is it different from "fmap absurd"?

Cheers,
Andreas