Proposal: replace readMVar with atomicReadMVar, breaking BC

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 21:49:15 CEST 2013

On 10/07/13 13:45, Tom Murphy wrote:
> Is there a reason why as I programmer I should prefer the non-FIFO
> semantics, or is it implemented that way for efficiency?

You might prefer the FIFO semantics if you want to take advantage of the
fact that the RTS implements a double-ended queue of threads in such a
way that threads can be removed from the middle in O(1) time if they
receive an exception from throwTo.  However, the only person I know that
does this sort of thing is Chris Kuklewicz, and I can never understand
his code. :-)

I expect the readMVar-jumps-to-the-front-of-the-queue semantics will be
more useful in most cases.  We could have both, but I doubt it's worth it.

Cheers,
	Simon