Proposal: Add IsString instance for (Maybe a) to base

MightyByte mightybyte at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 14:26:13 CEST 2013

I'll just throw out a data point related to this discussion.  In one of my
previous commercial Haskell projects we ended up writing a similar Num
instance for Maybe a.  I think I asked about it in #haskell back then and
got pretty vocal distaste about the idea from several people who spoke up.
 "Maybe is not a number!"  But we did end up using the instance in our
project because it greatly simplified a section of our code.  I'm certainly
not going to recommend that we also add the Num instance for Maybe.  But I
think it's a useful data point that this happened in real-world production
code at a company where writing Haskell code was my full-time job.

As for my personal opinion on this proposal, I'm on the fence.  I can see
how it would be nice to have this kind of convenience, but the arguments on
the opposing side also resonate with me as well.