Proposal: splitting the network package

Michael Snoyman michael at
Thu Jan 31 15:01:47 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr at> wrote:

> Michael Snoyman <michael at> writes:
> [...]
> > * Release a new version of network (1.5) that does not include the
> > Network.URI module.
> > * Create a network-uri package that uses conditionals in the cabal file.
> >     * If it's compiled against network version 1.4 or earlier, it doesn't
> > provide any modules.
> >     * If it's compiled against network 1.5 or later, it provides the
> > Network.URI module.
> >
> > This way, there's only ever one package which is providing Network.URI.
> Alas, this causes some of the conditional-API issues mentioned in [1],
> specifically the following situation:
> Say, I have a package which specifies only its dependancy on
> 'network-uri' (but not 'network') for its 'Network.URI' module, then the
> package compilation breaks depending on the actual version of the
> 'network' package linked against.
>  [1]:

That's true, but I don't think we have *any* means at our disposal of
creating a migration plan that has zero impact on users. The reason I
suggested my approach is that the only change users would need to make is
to add network-uri to their dependency list. You're correct that it's
possible that a user could depend exclusively on network-uri and thereby
cause trouble for users of the older network package, but I would argue
that's an acceptable tradeoff in this case.