suggestions for improving MonadWriter

Petr P petr.mvd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:10:43 CET 2013

Edward,

2013/1/28 Edward A Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com>

> I've often wanted to remove the Monoid constraint, so I'm a strong +1 on
> the first one.
>
> The second one I'm -1 on, given that it can be expressed with the existing
> combinators and due in small part to a more ideological concern:
>
> Over time I've come to view cramming pass/listen and local into the
> respective MonadWriter and MonadReader classes as a mistake. If we had the
> hierarchy to do over, I'd probably want them split into separate
> subclasses. This would permit more instances involving Cont, logging to
> disk, etc.

I strongly support your idea. Currently, MonadWriter and MonadReader just
reflect ReaderT and WriterT so that we can make monad stacks. But they
don't reflect the ideas - a monad we write to or read from, without any
additional constraints. I'd really love to have them split up: A more
general class that has just 'tell' and 'writer', and another that also has
'listen' and 'pass' (perhaps also 'contained').
I tried to discuss it in haskell-cafe once <http://www.mail-archive.com/
haskell-cafe at haskell.org/msg101756.html>, but without any feedback on the
idea, so I thought everybody is happy with the current state.

In this case, it seems that nothing important would break by this change,
because IMHO there are very very little custom instances of
MonadWriter/Reader. I'm also a big fan of this proposal: http://hackage.
haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DefaultSuperclassInstances
If it were implemented and standardized, we could refactor type classes
without breaking existing code (or breaking it just very little).
[In particular, it'd be possible to make Monad a subclass of Applicative,
something I've always regretted we don't have.]

Other than that, I'm not sure how adding "contained" goes against this
idea. If we split MonadWriter into two type classes, "contained" would
simply go into the one with "listen" and "pass".

Best regards,
Petr