Proposal: splitting the network package

Gregory Collins greg at
Mon Jan 21 11:54:44 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 5:52 AM, wren ng thornton <wren at> wrote:

> +1. There are plenty of projects and tools I can think of that would want
> to use URIs without having any reason to bring in all of HTTP.

The reason I proposed that doesn't have anything to do with whether it
makes sense for the URI code to live in that package in the long term.

   - HTTP is also already in the platform
   - HTTP uses this code
   - the existing Network.URI code is inefficient by design and cannot be
   improved without breaking user code
   - for backwards compatibility, we would like to have this code live on
   somewhere so that porting old code is easier.

Gregory Collins <greg at>