Haskell Platform proposal: Add case-insensitive

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sat Jan 12 11:17:40 CET 2013

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013, Gregory Collins wrote:

> First: Bas, would you support making case-insensitive a Haskell platform package?
> Assuming you say yes, I'd like to propose it for inclusion in the Haskell platform. The wiki page for this
> proposal is here:
>
>     http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/Proposals/case-insensitive
>
> And the case-insensitive package can be found on Hackage:
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/package/case-insensitive

I did not know of this package before, but it sounds useful to me and I
think there are many places in my code that could benefit from this
package.

  However, if the package is included in the platform I would prefer to
have it converted to plain Haskell 98 first, which should not be too hard.
E.g. the TypeSynonymInstances and FlexibleInstances are certainly required
by (instance FoldCase String) but can be avoided by a helper type class:
    http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/List_instance