Suggestin: IO companion for readMaybe

Merijn Verstraaten merijn at
Sat Feb 23 12:20:33 CET 2013

Now that GHC exports "readMaybe :: Read a => String -> Maybe a" from Text.Read (which I think should be exported from a more obvious/newbie friendly place, btw. Maybe Prelude?) I'd like to propose a similar companion for "readLn :: Read a => IO a" along the lines of "maybeReadLn :: Read a => IO (Maybe a)". This would be very convenient for quick hacks and to get newcomers playing with IO without having to bother with handling exceptions from misparses of readLn. I'm not sure about the name, some options are: readLnMaybe, readMaybeLn, maybeReadLn

Kind regards,