Can we move bytestring to github?

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Sun Feb 17 13:45:46 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 05:41:47PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 20:15 -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>> Hi, Duncan -
>>
>> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
>> but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.
>
>Ah but that's because it has no bugs ;-)
>
>(It actually does have a bug tracker, it's a component in the ghc trac.
>It's true that it doesn't get used much, but then there have been very
>few bugs in recent years.)

Crucially, it's not linked from the Hackage page; when I wanted to
report a concern with ByteString I e-mailed the addresses in the
bug-reports field and received no response.

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/bytestring

It wasn't terribly important, something about hGetSome being added in a
minor version, but regardless the impression that I got was that there
was nobody paying attention. Moving to Github would fix that but so
would just updating the bug-reports field.

(Nevertheless, I'm generally in favour of things moving to github since
it reduces the number of user interfaces I have to think about, and
reduces how much I am punished for still not working out how to use
darcs.)

Ben