Can we move bytestring to github?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 15 18:41:47 CET 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 20:15 -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> Hi, Duncan -
>
> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring,
> but darcs is a big wall at this point, and the package has no bug tracker.

Ah but that's because it has no bugs ;-)

(It actually does have a bug tracker, it's a component in the ghc trac.
It's true that it doesn't get used much, but then there have been very
few bugs in recent years.)

> I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that has
> served several of our core packages well.
>
> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that
> we'll get many more contributions (both patches and problem reports) on
> github.
>
> So... pretty pretty please.

Yes.

Git (and github) does make me less productive (I have found [1]), but
this can be counterbalanced by getting more contributions (this has been
true for Cabal). For bytestring where it's mostly in maintenance mode so
I don't have to hack on it that often, the balance I think goes in
favour of moving it to github.

Duncan

[1]: I'll spare you the rants ;-)