Can we move bytestring to github?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Feb 12 11:31:04 CET 2013

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:

> Hi, Duncan -
> The subject says it all. I'd like to contribute some patches to bytestring, but darcs is a big wall at this
> point, and the package has no bug tracker. I'd like to move it under http://github.com/haskell, a place that
> has served several of our core packages well.
>
> I know you're fond of darcs, but it's well established by experience that we'll get many more contributions
> (both patches and problem reports) on github.

My experience is different: Since your llvm package moved to github I got
no more patches into it and it seems others have problems as well and thus
there are now several llvm forks ...

My patches to wxhaskell are now laying around for many months and no one
reacts to my pull requests. My impression is that 'darcs send' and 'darcs
apply' worked better.

I am now forced to use git in many projects and on a monthly basis we have
problems with patches accidentally pushed on the wrong branch, that are
hard to remove. It's much more difficult to run tests per commit, which
causes many patches to go into the repository that break the package. For
me please no more git, and no more github!