[commit: unix] master: change notes (1461d21)

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Mon Feb 4 02:06:38 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 12:43:40AM +0000, Ben Millwood wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 09:49:42AM +1100, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> >>Hmm. I think it would be better to have Cabal/haddock understand a
> >>CHANGES file in a particular format. That way haddock (and hackage)
> >>could show the recent changes on a package's page, with a link to the
> >>full history, and the description can remain just a description of what
> >>the package does.
> >
> >Or even just a link to the raw text file on Hackage.
>
> Hackage 2 actually already does this! See the link at the bottom of
> http://hackage.factisresearch.com/package/haskell-src-meta :)
>
> Not exactly what you'd call prominent, but definitely a good start.

Right, I'm not sure it's prominent enough for what Simon wanted.

A parsable format would allow hackage (and haddock, when invoked by
cabal) to show the changes for just the last release on the main page.

It would also mean that, on hackage's 'full changelog' page, it could
turn the headings for each release into links to the hackage page for
that particular release.

Thanks
Ian