cabal sandboxes executable path

Konstantine Rybnikov k-bx at k-bx.com
Fri Dec 27 07:21:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> wrote:

> * Tom Ellis <tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2013 at jaguarpaw.co.uk> [2013-12-26 19:33:19+0000]
> > On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 08:18:40PM +0100, Konstantine Rybnikov wrote:
> > > Wow, this is a real surprise for me! Thank for clarifying that!
> > >
> > > I hope it's just me who missed this important information. Could you please
> > > share where was it described and how people know about it?
> >
> > This is a surprise to me too.  What's the difference between the executable
> > in 'dist' and the final one?   What happens if I just do 'cabal build'?  Is
> > the final one not actually built?
>
> In that case the executable is built (and placed under dist/), just not
> copied to the final destination (such as ~/.cabal/bin or .cabal-sandbox/bin).
>
> This is much like traditional make && make install.
>
> Roman

The problem here (for me at least) that they're different, it's not
just "copying". At least in size in my case (20mb and 30 mb, looks
like one is stripped, but what else?). So it's strange that in one
case dist/ contains "temporary build file that differs from end-one",
and then (on build) it contains actual binary.

I think we should at least make sure the files are equal (do all steps
in dist/ and then copy binary), or, if this is not acceptable, at
least write a note about that everywhere :)

Konstantine.