cabal-install and executable dependencies

harry voldermort at
Mon Aug 26 13:24:53 CEST 2013

Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote

Ah, a hard-coded list :-)

So I would like to propose that cabal should install build-tool dependencies
automatically if it can find them on hackage, and that package authors
should actually start listing them. I started this thread after numerous
failed installations of packages which depended on some undeclared
executable. (e.g. happstack, which has depends on hsx2hs, which in turns
depends on happy, but none of this is declared in the cabal files.)

Sent from the Haskell - Libraries mailing list archive at