Proposal: Improving the IsString String instance

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Sun Aug 25 20:39:52 CEST 2013

On 25/08/13 19:29, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> Am 25.08.2013 17:13, schrieb Edward Kmett:
>
>> Looks like that takes us back to the original proposal.
>
> It seems that both of Edward and my proposal have a drawback:
>    Edward's proposal restricts lists to [Char].
>    My proposal allows more element types, but type inference fails for
> (length "abc").
>
> Why is it necessary to let (length "abc") work as is?
> Would (length ("abc" :: String)) be too complicated?

This whole proposal was motivated by the fact that the convenience
extension, OverloadedStrings, makes simply things like (length "abc")
inconvenient as we have to use a type signature. What you're proposing
here goes completely against of why this proposal saw the light of the
day to begin with.

--
Mateusz K.