cabal-install and executable dependencies

harry voldermort at
Sun Aug 25 09:50:19 CEST 2013

Many packages have dependencies on executable packages. There are currently
three  ways to specify the dependency:

-Include it in the dependencies list, which will reinstall it every time.
-Omit it, and the user will have to work it out when they see the Setup
error message.
-Some packages "cheat" by including a dummy library with the executable.

I would like to propose that cabal do simple dependency checking for
executables. If it exists in the path or cabal's bin directory, then the
dependency it deemed satisfied. If it's in cabal's bin but not the path, the
user should be warned.

This doesn't support version bounds, but surely it's better than the current
situation. I'm assume that this has been discussed some time before, but
can't find any such discussion.

Sent from the Haskell - Libraries mailing list archive at