Proposal: Non-allocating way to iterate over a Data.Map: traverseWithKey_

Milan Straka fox at ucw.cz
Tue Aug 6 20:09:19 CEST 2013

Hi Edward,

I am not suggesting we should change the behaviour of existing functions
and traverseWithKey_ should definitely use the same order as
traverseWithKey. Changing semantics without changing type signatures is
really suspicious and usually plainly wrong.

Nevertheless, I was wondering whether we should have a monadic fold
(foldrM and foldlM) which would process the elements in a given order
(ascending and descending, analogously to foldr and foldl). From one
point of view, we can implement foldrM and foldlM using foldr and foldl,
nevertheless using linear heap space complexity compared to constant
heap space complexity we can achieve with specialized implementations.
This is the same situation as traverseWithKey_ -- we can implement it
using traverseWithKey, but the heap space complexity increases.

Cheers,
Milan