Proxy, new Typeable, and type-level equality

Edward A Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 17:11:57 CEST 2013

Note the eq lib and the type-eq/(:~:) GADT-based approach are interchangeable.

You can upgrade a Leibnizian equality to a type equality by applying the Leibnizian substitution to an a :~: a.

lens also has a notion of an Equality family at the bottom of the type semilattice for lens-like constructions, which is effectively a naked Leibnizian equality sans newtype wrapper.

The only reason eq exists is to showcase this approach, but in practice I recommend just using the GADT, modulo mutterings about the name. :)

That said those lowerings are particularly useful, if subtle -- Oleg wrote the first version of them, which I simplified to the form in that lib and they provide functionality that is classically not derivable for Leibnizian equality.

Sent from my iPhone