Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 16:29:49 CEST 2012

Hi all,

After discussing this proposal at ICFP and with the Haskell Platform
committee, we've decided that there's a rough consensus for adding
vector to the platform.

We will leave the following open issue for the future:

 * Using SafeHaskell in the platform in general, and in vector in
particular. This would be a large commitment for the platform, as we'd
implicitly be telling our users that we've deemed the packages in the
platform trustworthy. This is not something we should do without
committing to making sure they are, which is something we are not
willing to do just yet (as it requires a large amount of work, now and
later). The vector package will be added without the .Safe modules
(which no one wants).

P.S. I you haven't watched Mark's state of the platform talk already,
I recommend that you do so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st22QE-g0uo

Cheers,
Johan, with his HP committee hat on