HP 2012.4.0.0 -- No more proposals, Time to nail things down

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 14:25:28 CEST 2012

As per the schedule, the call for proposals has ended. While the HP process
allows proposals at anytime, I've set a cut off for those that will be
included in the next release, HP 2012.4.0.0.

The proposals before us, and my rough reading on state of the consensus of
each, are:

   - *async* - general agreement to includ
   - *split* - general agreement to includ
   - *time-extras* - general agreement to exclude, as the instances it
   provided are now provided by *time* itself.
   - *vector* - rough agreement that the functionality should be in the
   platform with two sticking points:
      - remove the .Safe modules, I believe Roman has prepared a new
      version with this change
      - reconsider the name of the dependent *primitive* package, which
      would also have to be included.

There is one more issue: *OpenGL* and *GLUT* in the platform are very
down-rev, because later versions were split into a number of packages which
didn't meet with agreement for inclusion in the platform. There has been
discussion on what to do about this situation, but no proposals were made.
We may run into a build issue, which might force a decision later in this
release cycle.

Now is the time for any further discussion of these matters. I will need to
make go/no-go decisions for the 2012.4.0.0 release in little over a week:

   - *September 17th, 2012* - Call for proposals ends (no more proposals
   considered)
   - *October 1st, 2012* - Proposals decided, Initial version list
   - *October 15th, 2012* - First candidates

— Mark *keep them doggies movin'* Lentczner**