Proposal: Adding generics-based rnf-helper to `deepseq`

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Fri Sep 21 11:40:04 CEST 2012

Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> writes:

> As far as I know, deepseq is currently plain Haskell 98. This would no
> longer be true with a dependency on generics. Thus I would prefer to
> keep deepseq and generic-deepseq separated.

that's right (although one could make that an optional feature of the
`deepseq` package, depending on the availability of the
generics-feature, so that `deepseq` could still build with a pure H98
compiler)

moreover, there's one important difference though between the
implementation I included in the email and the original
`generic-deepseq` package:

The `generic-deepseq` package uses a completely separate `DeepSeq`
type-class (the `generic-deepseq` package doesn't even depend on the
`deepseq` package), whereas the code I posted is able to make use of
existing `NFData` class instances.