HTTP and character encodings

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Wed Sep 12 00:00:17 CEST 2012

On 09/11/2012 09:45 PM, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> I also hesitate to depend on packages with very many dependencies - although I
> write such packages myself. Chances are high that one of the imported packages
> fails to compile on a certain system or compiler version.

I suppose if more stuff were in the platform, that would make it less likely though.

>> For example, the whole haskell TLS stack is responsible for at least 10~15
>> packages in http-conduit's list.
>
> I haven't checked whether it is possible, but maybe there are ways to let the
> user plug in the TLS functionality if he needs it. Then conduit-http would not
> need to depend on it.

I think it depends on how much control you need on the stack. For simple use,
"open a TLS socket and give me a raw bytestream", it's possible. I believe
that's how people use HTTP with HsOpenSSL. I think a great deal of possibilities
is lost with this approach.

--
Vincent