HTTP and character encodings

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Tue Sep 11 22:36:37 CEST 2012

On 09/11/2012 07:27 PM, Ben Millwood wrote:
> As an aside, the major reason I support HTTP over something like
> http-conduit is the latter's titanic dependency list. I think
> especially as a dependency of cabal-install that's something of a
> dealbreaker:
>
> $ cabal install http-conduit | grep 'new package' | wc -l
> [...]
> 47
I'm not sure what do you want to demonstrate here, number of packages couldn't
be a more irrelevant metric. Would you prefer a package that includes everything
in one giant codebase ?

For example, the whole haskell TLS stack is responsible for at least 10~15
packages in http-conduit's list. I could easily put everything in one giant
package, openssl style. However i think it make more sense to build bricks
(asn1, crypto hashes, ..) that can be reused in different libraries/programs
(and indeed they are).

Now cabal-install is a bit of a special case, and keeping HTTP working is
probably a good idea. But at the Platform level, while i agree the amount of
work required is huge and not without controversies, keeping HTTP instead of
http-conduit just make it likely the platform will be (is) irrelevant for many
people.

--
Vincent