Time to add the Traversable laws to the Documentation

roconnor at theorem.ca roconnor at theorem.ca
Mon Oct 29 05:08:41 CET 2012

How about adding the following to the documentation of Traversable:

Any instance must statisfy the following three laws:

(0) eta . traverse f = traverse (eta . f)

     for every

     eta :: forall a f g. (Applicative f, Applicative g) => f a -> g a

     such that

     eta (pure x) = pure x

     and

     eta (x <*> y) = eta x <*> eta y

(1) traverse Identity = Identity

     where

     newtype Identity a = Identity a

     instance Functor Identity where
       fmap f (Identity x) = Identity (f x)

     instance Applicative Indentity where
       pure x = Identity x
       Identity f <*> Identity x = Identity (f x)

(2) traverse (Compose . fmap g . f) = Compose . fmap (traverse g) . traverse f

     where

     newtype Compose f g a = Compose (f (g a))

     instance (Functor f, Functor g) => Functor (Compose f g) where
       fmap f (Compose x) = Compose (fmap (fmap f) x)

     instance (Applicative f, Applicatve g) => Applicative (Compose f g) where
       pure x = Compose (pure (pure x))
       Compose f <*> Compose x = Compose ((<*>) <$> f <*> x)

Note: By parametricity, law (0) will hold uncondtionally and only laws (1)
and (2) need be checked.